“To develop, review, and maintain, for publication in Section XI of the Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, requirements for protecting pressure integrity of systems, structures and components (SSC) that affect reliability. It is applicable to all advanced design reactor technologies. RIM establishes requirements to determine credible degradation mechanisms that could lead to the failure of SSC and imposes Monitoring and NDE (MANDE) criteria to detect the onset of degradation mechanisms.
It is a “technology neutral standard” that may be applied to any reactor technology, including light water cooled, gas cooled, liquid metal cooled as well as other advanced design nuclear power plants.
Areas covered include defining the requirements and responsibilities for the following:
- implementation of the RIM Program,
- the RIM Expert Panel,
- scope of the SSC to be included in the RIM Program,
- developing Reliability Target values to be assigned to SSC,
- MANDE methods, techniques, procedures, personnel qualifications, frequency of inspection, records and evaluation and disposition of MANDE results through performance demonstrated MANDE protocol,
- continuously evaluating SSCs performance for onsets of degradation to maintain the reliability of in scope SSC,
- repair/replacement activities,
- procedures for analytical evaluation of plant operating events, and
- The regular update of the RIM Program and MANDE parameters through gained operating experience as a continuous living program.
RIM is applicable regardless of the Construction Code classification initially employed for a SSC and complete nuclear power plants that have met all the requirements of the Construction Code.”