Summary of A17 Elevator Publications:
- A17.1/B44 Safety Code for Escalators and Elevators-2010 This Safety Code covers the design, construction, installations, operations, testing, maintenance, alteration, and repair of elevators, escalators, moving walk, material lifts, dumbwaiters, and private residence inclined lifts. This Code applies primarily to new installations.
- A17.1/B44 Handbook 2010 Edition
This handbook augments the A17.1 Code (as well as th CSA B44 Code) with commentary, diagrams, and illustrations that are intended to explain the requirements of the A17.1 Code. The commentary contained in the Handbook is the opinion of the author and has not been approved by the A17 Committee.
- A17.2 Guide for Inspection of Elevators, Escalators, and Moving Walks - 2010
This Guide covers recommended inspection and testing procedures for electric and hydraulic elevators, escalators and moving walks required to conform to the Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators, A17.1-1955 and later editions and the Safety Code for Existing Elevators and Escalators, A17.3. Subsections are arranged to focus on periodic (routine) inspection requirements, followed by periodic tests and acceptance criteria.
- A17.3 Safety Code for Existing Elevators and Escalators -2011
This Code coveres retroactive requirements for existing elevators and escalators. The purpose of this Code is to establish minimum requirements that will provide a reasonable degree of safety for the general public. While many of these requirements will also increase the degree of safety for the elevator mechanic and inspector, this area has not been specifically addressed at this time.
- A17.4 Guide for Emergency Evacuation of Passengers from Elevators - 1999
This guide for emergency personnel (fire, police, etc.), building owners, lessees, and building operating managers explains the proper procedures to be used for the safe removal of passengers from stalled cars.
- A17.5 Elevator and Escalator Electrical Equipment - 2011 This Code contains requirements for obtaining, laveling, and listing of drive machine controllers, logic controllers, and operating devices for starting stopping, regulating controlling, or protecting electric motors, generators, and all other electrical equipment, for elevators, escalators, moving walks, and dumbwaiters.
- ASME A17.7-2007/CSA B44.7-07, Performance-Based Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators
This perfomanced based Safety Code covers the design, construction, installations, operations, testing, maintenance, alteration, and repair of elevators, escalators, moving walk, material lifts, dumbwaiters, and private residence inclined lifts. This Code differs from A17.1 in that the requirements are performanced based whereas A17.1 has more prescriptive based (deatialed) requirements. This Code applies primarily to new installations.
- ASME A17.7.1/CSA B44.7.1 General Requirements for Accredited Elevator/Escalator Certification Organizations -2007
This document provides guidance for the use of ISO/IEC Guide 65 as applied to an Accredited Elevator/Escalator Certification Organization (AECO) accredited by ANSI, ASME or SCC operating an A17.7/B44.7 certification system. The requirements of ISO/IEC Guide 65 apply in full except where modified by this document.
QEI-1 Standard for the Qualification of Elevator Inspectors - 2010
This Standard covers the requirements for the qualification and duties of inspectors and inspection supervisors engaged in the inspection and testing of equipment within the scope of the A17.1 Code. It also includes requirements for the accreditation of organizations which certify inspectors and inspection supervisors as meeting the QEI criteria.
To order today:
Toll Free Numbers -
US & Canada: 800-THE-ASME (843-2763), ext. 844
Mexico: 001-800-843-2763, ext. 844
Outside North America: 973-882-1167, ext. 844
Fax: (973) 882-1717